Monday, March 4, 2013

Cambodia Khmer Rouge tribunal staff goes on strike

(AP) ? A hearing at the U.N.-backed genocide trial of former leaders of the Khmer Rouge has been suspended because local translators have gone on strike following three months without pay.

Khmer Rouge tribunal spokesman Neth Pheaktra says Monday that about 30 Cambodian staff members from the translation section said they will stop working until they get their salaries.

The announcement came as the court was about to hear testimony from a foreign expert on Monday.

The tribunal is seeking justice for the estimated 1.7 million people who died due to the extremist policies of the communist Khmer Rouge's 1970s rule.

Cambodian staff members have been working without pay since December. They also face the prospect of not receiving their money this year unless foreign donors contribute more funds.

Associated Press

Source: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/cae69a7523db45408eeb2b3a98c0c9c5/Article_2013-03-04-AS-Cambodia-Khmer-Rouge/id-12156b720b3649658caf8312736e8e08

amber alert seahawks natalie wood patriots Sandy Hook Hoax 2014 Corvette Stacie Halas

Evernote resets passwords after data breach

Evernote, a Web-based note-sharing service, said it was resetting the passwords of its 50 million users because hackers managed to breach its computer network and access some user names, email addresses and encrypted passwords.

Evernote spokeswoman Ronda Scott said via email on Saturday that the attack "follows a similar pattern" to other cyber attacks on Internet-based companies in recent weeks, but she did not elaborate.

"In our security investigation, we have found no evidence that any of the content you store in Evernote was accessed, changed or lost," the company said on its website. "We also have no evidence that any payment information for Evernote Premium or Evernote Business customers was accessed."

Scott declined to say how many accounts had been exposed or whether it might be possible for the hackers to unscramble encrypted passwords.

A series of technology companies including Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and Twitter have recently disclosed cyber attacks. In the majority of those cases, the companies said that the unknown hackers exploited a bug in Java software and that no user information was compromised.

Twitter is the only major Internet company that has recently reported its user information was exposed to hackers. On Feb. 1, Twitter reset passwords for 250,000 accounts whose encrypted passwords may have been accessed.

Scott said Evernote believed that the hackers did not exploit a bug in Java when they broke into the company's system.

Evernote is a privately held company whose major investors include Meritech Capital, CBC Capital, Sequoia Capital, Morgenthaler Ventures and DOCOMO Capital.

Copyright 2013 Thomson Reuters.

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/evernote-resets-50-million-passwords-after-hackers-steal-user-data-1C8659106

jimmy kimmel amzn white house correspondents dinner phoenix coyotes bruce irvin charlie st cloud celtics

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Caught For Fins, Sharks Die At Unsustainable Rate, Study Finds

Fresh shark fins dry on the deck of an apprehended fishing boat in a declared shark and manta ray sanctuary located in the eastern region of Indonesia.

Conservation International//Getty Images

Fresh shark fins dry on the deck of an apprehended fishing boat in a declared shark and manta ray sanctuary located in the eastern region of Indonesia.

Conservation International//Getty Images

An estimated 100 million sharks are killed every year, "largely due to their inherent vulnerability, and an increasing demand, particularly for their ?ns, in the Asian market," a new report finds.

Sharks are particularly vulnerable, National Geographic says, "because they take long periods to mature and generally produce few young over their lifetimes."

"There's a staggering number of sharks being caught every year and the number is way too high considering the biology of species," the study's lead researcher tells National Geographic.

Shark killings must decline "drastically in order to rebuild depleted populations and restore marine ecosystems with functional top predators," the study says.

Published in the journal Marine Policy, the report precedes Sunday's Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. Officials will consider protections for the most threatened shark species, the BBC reports.

Though the body rejected similar proposals in 2010, the BBC says, advocates believe they have wider support this time and expect to get the measures passed.

Meanwhile, new protections for great white sharks took effect Friday in California, Reuters reports. The sharks are now candidates for making the state's endangered species list.

Great whites are already shielded from commercial and sport fishing, Reuters says, but new provisions target the unintentional snaring that can happen during gill-net fishing.

Source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/03/02/173301080/caught-for-fins-sharks-die-at-unsustainable-rate-study-finds?ft=1&f=1007

vanessa minnillo super tuesday epidemiology total eclipse of the heart jionni lavalle earthquake san francisco donald payne

Health News - UEA researchers to pilot new treatment for people ...

Sorry, Readability was unable to parse this page for content.

Source: http://www.healthcanal.com/disorders-conditions/36667-UEA-researchers-pilot-new-treatment-for-people-who-stammer.html

cirque du freak paul pierce pope joan pope joan strikeforce tate vs rousey strawberry festival knicks

Violent protests outside Cairo as protests spread

An Egyptian protester shouts slogans as another holds anti-Muslim brotherhood banner reading, "no for bloody state security," during a protest in support of victims of Friday's clashes in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura, in Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, March 2, 2013. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

An Egyptian protester shouts slogans as another holds anti-Muslim brotherhood banner reading, "no for bloody state security," during a protest in support of victims of Friday's clashes in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura, in Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, March 2, 2013. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

The body of Hossam Eldin Abdullah Abdelazim, 14, who activists say died when an armored police vehicle crushed him, is carried for burial from the international hospital in Mansoura, in the Nile Delta province of Dakahliya, Egypt, Saturday, March 2, 2013. Egypt's Interior Ministry says one protester has died and dozens have been wounded in violent anti-government clashes with police that erupted overnight and continued for several hours before dawn Saturday. (AP Photo/Sayed Baz)

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry walks out of his plane upon arrival in Cairo, Egypt on Saturday, March 2, 2013. Cairo is the sixth leg of Kerry's first official overseas trip and begins the Middle East portion of his nine-day journey. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)

Egyptian activists burn a poster depicting U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during a protest outside the Egyptian foreign ministry in Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, March 2, 2013. Cairo is the sixth leg of Kerry's first official overseas trip and begins the Middle East portion of his nine-day journey. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry gives a statement to the media at the start of a meeting with business leaders in Cairo, Egypt on Saturday, March 2, 2013. Cairo is the sixth leg of Kerry's first official overseas trip and begins the Middle East portion of his nine-day journey. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)

(AP) ? Violent protests erupted outside Egypt's capital on Saturday as activists accused police of using excessive force in two cities and running over protesters, including one who was crushed to death by an armored vehicle.

The violence in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura and the Suez Canal city of Port Said came as U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was in Cairo meeting with opposition figures.

Some liberals and seculars are angry that Washington is urging them to take part in next month's parliamentary elections and see U.S. support for the vote as backing for President Mohammed Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood party. The U.S. Embassy invited 11 opposition figures to meet with Kerry, but five declined.

The U.S. State Department said Kerry had a telephone conversation with opposition figurehead and Nobel laureate Mohammed ElBaradei, who heads the opposition National Salvation Front. Kerry also met with Amr Moussa, a longtime diplomat and prominent figure in the group. Kerry was scheduled to meet with Morsi on Sunday.

Protesters in Mansoura and Port Said have been calling for civil disobedience campaigns, or work stoppages, to bring down Morsi. The Interior Ministry, embattled by months of demonstrations aimed against its forces, called on political groups to reign in protesters in Mansoura who stormed the city's old police headquarters Saturday evening.

Protesters and opposition parties accuse Morsi and the Brotherhood of trying to monopolize power and of reneging on promises of reform. They also want parts of a new constitution amended and are calling for the formation of a more inclusive government.

Calls for strikes coincide with a diesel crisis that has caused microbuses, taxi and truck drivers to wait in fuel lines for hours across Egypt. The political turmoil has rocked the country's economy and the government is struggling to contain declines in foreign reserves, which threatens to affect the country's ability to provide subsidies that millions of Egyptians rely on for survival.

ElBaradei's Salvation Front says the vote will only further polarize the nation and that elections should not take place during the current climate of violence. Liberal parties have trailed behind their Islamist rivals in all elections since the country's uprising two years ago.

Since the second anniversary of the uprising in late January, more than 70 people have been killed in clashes with police.

Despite calls by some to delay the vote, the elections commission on Saturday announced procedures, including an eight-day window starting March 9 for candidates to register to run for the 546-seat legislature.

The Interior Ministry, which oversees the country's police force, said one protester died and dozens were wounded before dawn Saturday in Mansoura where about 400 people protested outside the local council office. The ministry said protesters were chanting anti-government slogans before they cut off a main road and threw firebombs at the building.

Activists there told The Associated Press that protester Hossam Eldin Abdullah Abdelazim was killed when an armored police vehicle crushed him to death during the clashes. A funeral was held for him later in the day.

An initial autopsy said he was 35 years old.

The Interior Ministry suggested Abdelazim's death was an accident.

Mansoura activists say a teenager also was shot in the head and critically wounded during the protests.

By nightfall, demonstrators were still clashing with police, who fired tear gas and bird shot, according to activist Abdullah el-Nikeety.

"All of Mansoura will not allow this death to be in vain," he said. "I am seeing people who are protesting for the first time."

The ministry said 12 policemen were wounded, nine by bird shot. Police arrested 28 people.

Abdel-Rahman Saad, a law student in Mansoura, likened Saturday's violence to what happened on Jan. 28, 2011, the bloodiest day of the uprising against President Hosni Mubarak that led to his ouster. The office of the opposition "Tayar al-Shaabi" was turned into a field hospital to treat the wounded, he said.

Saad was among around 100 protesters who had been demonstrating on Monday along a main road in Mansoura, convincing some government employees on their way home from work to join the strike. He and others there said pro-Brotherhood residents assaulted their sit-in, and that both sides threw rocks at one another.

Police moved in to try to stop the fight that day, but clashes have continued between protesters and security forces since.

Activists uploaded videos of the violence online. One video purported to show an armored police vehicle rushing protesters at high speed on Thursday. Another video showed a protester from the overnight clashes Saturday with what appeared to be a crushed skull. The videos could not be independently verified.

Tayar al-Shaabi released a statement, saying police violence is unjustified and accused security forces of deliberately running over the protester who died. It accused Morsi and his Brotherhood backers of tyranny and said the violence in Mansoura and other cities is evidence of "people's rejection of the current regime."

Elsewhere in Egypt, a police car in the restive Suez Canal city of Port Said hit five protesters along a main road and sped off, according to an AP reporter at the scene. The protesters were blocking traffic during an anti-government march.

The reporter said that when the protesters refused to allow a police car passage, the driver fired warning shots into the air and rammed into the crowd, hitting five people. The protesters, who are angry with the police, then torched a number of vehicles at a nearby police station, the AP reporter said.

A police official said demonstrators first threw stones at the police vehicle before the driver hit protesters. Several hundred protesters then threw firebombs at the nearby police station, causing part of it to catch fire, the official said, speaking anonymously because he was not authorized to speak to media.

Health official Helmy el-Afani said those hit by the car were admitted to a nearby hospital with broken bones, including one man who had a broken pelvis.

Schools have been closed for a month in Port Said following deadly clashes there late last month that killed around 40 people. The violence erupted after protesters tried to storm the city's prison in January to free 21 defendants sentenced to death for their roles in a deadly soccer riot.

It was unclear if schools would resume classes on Sunday as planned.

ElBaradei's Dustor Party said the violence was reminiscent of police assaults on protesters during the anti-Mubarak uprising. It condemned what it said was "an excessive use of force" by police and Brotherhood loyalists.

Human Rights Watch said Saturday that Morsi should "order the police to limit any use of force to what is strictly necessary."

"Neither the Interior Ministry nor the president has admitted any wrongdoing on the part of the police in Port Said," the statement said.

___

Batrawy reported from Cairo.

Associated Press

Source: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/cae69a7523db45408eeb2b3a98c0c9c5/Article_2013-03-02-Egypt/id-06632388143e4b6198ed5e89aee2baa8

red wings penguins the band colton dixon houston weather dwyane wade the night they drove old dixie down

PHOTOS: Hot Hollywood Couples!

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone hold hands in NYC! Check out more pics of Hollywood's tightest twosomes.

Source: http://www.ivillage.com/star-snapshots-celebrity-couples-photos-2012/1-b-469173?dst=iv%3AiVillage%3Astar-snapshots-celebrity-couples-photos-2012-469173

tryptophan BestBuy.com Kohls Black Friday www.walmart.com Macho Camacho Rise of the Guardians Pumpkin Pie